The NDA PGS was established in 2005 to offer opportunities for officers and civilians to earn higher qualifications at Postgraduate Diploma, Masters and PhD levels. The Postgraduate (PG) programmes have both the full-time and part-time modes, with the latter being mainly professional Masters’ Degree. Most of the programmes were mounted out of the need to put the high level manpower available in NDA to maximum use. The professional Masters’ Degree programmes in particular, provided opportunity for Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) from which the Academy and the staff have benefited. All the PG programmes have their foundations in the undergraduate degree programmes of NDA
The requirements for the various programmes are as follows:
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
Candidates applying for the Postgraduate Diploma Programme must possess either (a), a Bachelor degree from the Nigerian Defence Academy or any other recognized University, or (b), Higher National Diploma (Lower Credit), provided the academy matriculation requirement is satisfied. In addition, candidates must satisfy departmental requirements.
A candidate seeking admission into the Master’s degree Programme shall be a graduate of the Nigerian Defence Academy or any other recognized University and possess a minimum of Second Class Honours (Lower Division) in the relevant discipline.A candidate with a minimum of Lower Credit and CGPA of 3.50 at postgraduate diploma from NDA or any other recognized university may also be admitted to a Masters Degree Programme.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree
A candidate for PhD degree must possess a Bachelor’s degree (minimum of Second Class Honours, Lower Division) and a Master’s degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 or B grade in appropriate area of study from the Nigerian Defence Academy or any other recognized University.
Duration of Programmes
- A student admitted for either Master’s or PhD degree must undergo a full-time course of study and research training in the Academy.
- Candidates for Doctor of Philosophy Programmes shall undergo the programme for not less than (6) semesters and not more than ten (10) semesters.
- A student for a Masters degree shall undergo the programme for a minimum of (4) semesters and maximum of six (6) semesters.
- At the expiration of the period for any given programme as indicated in items (ii) and (iii) above, any student who has not completed his programme shall be withdrawn from the Academy.
- A candidate admitted for part-time programme shall undergo weekend mode of study and research. The following conditions shall apply:
- A student for Professional Master’s Degree programme shall undergo the programme for two (2) semesters. However, special courses can run for a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of six (6) semesters.
- A student for Postgraduate Diploma shall undergo the programme for a minimum of two (2) semesters. However, some courses can run for a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of six semesters.
Deferment could either be on admission, session, semester or examination. The PG School Committee shall grant deferment only on exceptional circumstances.
Deferment of Admission
- The deferment of admission shall be subject to the following conditions as follows:
- an application for deferment of admission shall be done within one month from the commencement of lectures;
- a non-refundable deferment fee as determined by the PG School Committee shall be paid before an application is processed;
- the duration of the deferment shall be for a maximum period of one (1) academic session;
- an approved deferment shall lapse, if the applicant fails to register within the specified registration period in the first semester to which deferment is made.
Deferment of Session
To be qualified for sessional deferment, a returning student who has spent one year can defer the session.
Deferment of Semester
Only second semester can be deferred. On resumption of studies for the second semester, a deferred student shall pay the sessional fees.
Deferment of Examination
Only on deferment of examination that students shall not pay fees