Prof. Okpanachi Joshua
HOD, Accounting and Management
Prof. Okpanachi Joshua
I am pleased to welcome you to Department of Accounting & Management (Centre for Accountability and Integrity). I hope that you will find the information in this page useful.The Department is located in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) in the permanent site of Nigerian Defence Academy while its Postgraduate courses are taken in the Old site.The Department expresses deep appreciation to the Commandant, The Academy Provost and The Academy Registrar for their continual support for the Department.
History of the Department
The Department of Accounting was reclassified as Department of Accounting and Management, in order to correct anomalies in the structure and organization of some management courses in April 2016. The Department was decoupled from the Department of Economics and Management Sciences (EMS) in the 2013/2014 academic session. 29 in the 2013/2014 academic session. The journey began in 1997 when BSc Accounting Programme was introduced in the then Department of Economics and the name of the department was changed from Department of Economics to Department of Economics and Management Sciences. Following the restructuring of academic programmes by the NDA authority in 2002, the EMS department was mandated to award a combined degree in Economics and Accounting. However in 2007, the department was given approval by the National Universities’ Commission (NUC) Resources Verification Team to award separate degrees (BSc) in Accounting and Economics. The Accounting Programme performed excellently during the 2012 NUC Accreditation exercise as reflected by the score of 89.1percent.
While under the Department of EMS, the Accounting Option produced two first class graduate officers (Officer Cadets), and graduated one MSc and four PhD students. Most of our graduate officers (Officer Cadets) are now serving in the finance corps of the Nigerian Armed Forces units. At present, the Department of Accounting offers courses leading to the award of degrees in the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The degrees awarded are Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Master of Science in Accounting and Doctor of Philosophy in Accounting. It also admits students for Postgraduate Diploma in Logistics and Transport (PGDLT) and Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance (PGDAF) as a remedial training to enable such students pursue postgraduate programmes in the accounting discipline. The MSc Accounting Programme performed excellently well during the 2015 NUC accreditation exercise as reflected by the score of 71.8 percent.
Owing to the reclassification of the department in April 2016 as Department of Accounting and Management, NDA Postgraduate programs in management mounted in the Department of Economics were moved to Department of Accounting and Management in order to secure the intellectual legitimacy of their academic awards. The programs are Doctorate Degree in Management (PhD Mgt), Masters in Business Administration (MBA) and Postgraduate Diploma in Management (PGDM).
The Degree Programme aims at producing graduate officers (Officer Cadets) who are able to proffer solution to socio – economic problems that affect the Nigerian Armed Forces and the society at large. It has also been designed to:
1. Produce officers who are competent professionals and financial experts with sound foundation knowledge in the field of Accounting.
2. Provide officer cadets with balanced academic curriculum of study which will enable them to contribute effectively to the operational needs of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; and
3. Ensure competence in their chosen field of study through the acquisition of relevant skills.
Since the inception of the Accounting programme, it has undergone considerable review and restructuring both in scope and content. All the programmes in the department have been drawn to meet the requirements of the NUC and the National Policy on Education, and have fully earned the accreditation of the NUC. The BSc Degree programme particularly is aligned with the standards by professional bodies of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and Association of National Accountants of Nigerian (ANAN).
The minimum requirements for admission to B.Sc degree in Accounting in the Nigerian Defence Academy are similar to those of other Federal Universities in Nigeria. Candidates must possess a Senior Secondary School Certificate, (WAEC/NECO), General Certificate of Education or their equivalents with not less than five credits including English Language, Economics and Mathematics. Admission is through competitive examination and interview
1. PhD Accounting
2. PhD Management
3. MSc Accounting
4. Master in Business Administration (MBA)
5. Masters in Energy Security Management (MESM)
6. Postgraduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
7. Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance (PGDAF)
8. Postgraduate Diploma in Logistics and Transport (PGDL&T)
Admission requirements into the Ph.D programme:
Admission to the Ph.D degree programme is open to graduates of this Department or of any other approved University, who have M.Sc degrees in Accounting. Other criteria for admission are as follows:
1. Candidates who possess an M.Sc. degree with a CGPA of not less than 4.00 or 60% weighted average work at their M.Sc. degree Examination.
2. Candidates must present a mini-proposal in the intended research topic for the programme of not more than 5 pages of A4 paper.
3. Candidates must satisfy the matriculation requirements of 5 credits at ‘0’ level or its equivalent including Mathematics, English Language and Economics for entry into this department.
4. Successful candidates must register for course work in the first year and pass, while preparing their research topic within the first year of the programme.
5. Admission of candidate into the Ph.D programme is strictly based on availability of human resources in the department as at the time of application.
Admission requirements into the M.Sc Degree programme:
1. Candidates must have, at least, five “O” level credit passes including English, Mathematics and Economics
2. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with a minimum of Second Class Honours Lower Division from Nigerian Defence Academy or any recognized university with its Accounting programme fully accredited.
3. Candidates with minimum CGPA of 4.0 in (Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance) PGDAF obtained from Department of Accounting, Nigerian Defence Academy
Admission requirements into the MBA Degree programme:
1. Graduates of Nigerian Defence Academy and holders of any other degrees recognized by the Acvademic Board of the Nigerian Defence from the Department of Economics and Management Sciences, and cognate disciplines not lower than Second Class Lower (2.2) degree.
2. First degree in Economics, Accounting, Finance, Business Management, Marketing from any other recognized University with pass at not less than Second Class Honour (Lower Division).
3. Holders of equivalent Professional qualifications in Economics, Accounting, Finance, Business Management, Marketing, Engineering, etc may be considered for admission provided they fulfil other condition in (d) and (e) below.
4. Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) in relevant disciplines with a minimum of Upper Credit plus Postgraduate Diploma in Management, Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance, Postgraduate Diploma in Banking and Finance or any other relevant Postgraduate Dipolma from a recognized University.
5. Candidates must have, at least, five “O” level credit passes including English language and Mathematics obtained at not more than two (2) sittings.
Admission requirements into the PGDAF/PGDLT programme:
1. First degree of the Nigerian Defence Academy or of any other recognized institution with a pass of not less than Third Class Honours in Accounting, but with credits in English Language and Mathematics/Statistics at the WASSCE/ GCE Ordinary Level examinations.
2. HND (Accounting) from any recognized institution with a pass at not less than lower credit. Professional qualifications such as ACA (ICAN), CNA (ANAN), ACIB (Chartered Institute of Bankers), ACIS (Chartered Institute of Stock Brokers), ACIT (Chartered Institute of Taxation) and others that may be approved by the Senate of the Nigerian Defence Academy from time to time will be an added advantage.
|S/N||Name||Rank||Qualifications||Area of Specialization|
|1||Prof. Joshua Okpanachi||Professor||B.Sc; M.Sc; PhD; CNA||Accounting and Finance|
|2||Assoc Prof Terzungwe Nyor||Assoc Professor||B.Sc; M.Sc; PhD; ACA||Financial Accounting|
|3||Assoc Prof Samuel Eniola Agbi||Snr Lecturer||B.Sc; M.Sc; PhD; CPA; ACTI; CMA; ACMA; CSC||Accounting|
|4||Dr Adabenege O Yahaya||Snr Lecturer||B.Sc; M.Sc; MBA; PhD; FPAN; FFIAN; FSIM; MIMC; MNIM.||Accounting; Finance and Management|
|5||Dr Mohammed N Ahmed||Snr Lecturer||B.Sc; M.Sc; PhD||Accounting and Finance|
|6||Dr Lateef O Mustapha||Lecturer 1||B.Sc;MBA;M.Sc;PhD;ACA;ACTI;CILRM;ICEN||Finance and Taxation|
|7||Mr Suleiman Tauhid||Lecturer I||B.Sc; MBA; M.Sc;||Financial Accounting & Auditing|
|8||Mr Samuel G Joshua||Lecturer I||B.Sc; M.Sc;||Accounting and Finance|
|9||Lt Cdr Oladejo||Adjunct||B.Sc; M.Sc; FCA; ACTI; FCPIN||Forensic Accounting|
|10||Major Azeez||Lecturer||HND; PGD. BSc; MBA; MSc; ACA;CNA; ACE; CPFA||Forensic Accounting|
|11||Bamidele Fafure||Asst Lecturer||B.Sc; MBA||Management|
|12||Mrs Marvis Irom||Asst Lecturer||B.Sc; MBA; M.Sc;||Accounting|
|13||Mrs L Abdulsalam||Graduate Assistant||B.Sc;||Accounting and Finance|
|14||Mrs SO Bello||Graduate Assistant||B.Sc;||Management|
CHRONICLE OF HOD’S
Department of Accounting
|1||Snr Lect||Terzungwe Nyor (PhD)||Oct 2013||Sept 2014|
|2||Assoc Prof||Terzungwe Nyor (PhD)||Oct 2014||Mar 2016|
Department of Accounting and Management
|1||Assoc Prof||Terzungwe Nyor (PhD)||April 2016||Nov 2017|
|2||Prof||Okpanachi Joshua (PhD)||Nov 2017||Till Date|
Department of Accounting and Management
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Nigerian Defence Academy
PMB 2109, Kaduna, Nigeria