The Undergraduate programme is a four year programme leading to award of B.Sc (Hons) degree in Civil Engineering. The programme is organized on course credit system in which the study is broken into modular courses with semester duration. Cadets register modular courses in each of the semesters during which the cadets are given lectures and tutorials, laboratory and workshop practical and undertake individual project at final year.
The process of developing academic curriculum and periodical reviews commence from the department through the Faculty Board, Academic Planing Unit, and Academic Curriculum Committee to Academic Board, whose approval is sent to NUC for clearance.
In all cases, the curriculum must meet the requirements of the National Policy on Education and the minimum benchmark of the NUC and COREN. Competent lecturers are appointed as External Examiners. Experienced lecturers and professors who distinguished themselves in relevant disciplines are often appointed on visiting status to compliment the efforts of the internal academic staff.
Course Outline and Credit Load
In order to achieve the philosophy and objectives of the programme, the following feature among others are included.
1. Common foundation years 100 and 200 levels for all cadets.
2. Workshop practice, laboratory and industrial visits.
3. Special skills and in-depth study in particular area(s) of the programme through optional courses and lecture series.
4. Adequate knowledge in the areas of Engineering Management and Economics and Law.
5. Adequate knowledge in the Science and Technology of Military Engineering.
6. Adequate knowledge of Social Science issues relevant to the Military in their interaction with the environment and with people in war and peace periods.
Admission and Graduation Policy
Admission into the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) is highly competitive considering the Military training and the academic demands. The basic requirements are: Student must be a Nigerian citizen, though foreign students base on bilateral agreement(s) are also admitted.
1. Age must fall within 16 – 19 years.
2. Student must be physically, mentally and medically fit.
3. Student must possess (five) 5 credits pass in appropriate subjects in not more than two sittings in WASCE/NECO including English language and Mathematics/Geography/Technical Drawing.
4. Student must pass the minimum point for JAMB examination
Having above requirements, applicants must processed NDA entrance application form, sit and pass entrance examination after which successful candidates are short listed for the Armed Forces Selection Board (AFSB) interview on quota basis. At the selection process, candidates are made to undergo the following:
1. Medical Examination
2. Physical Training
3. Written Aptitude Test
4. Planning Exercise
5. Oral Interview
For a cadet to qualify for the award of B. Eng. Degree in Civil Engineering, he must have registered for and passed all the prescribe courses and training outlined, and of good character