About the Library
Historically, the NDA library is as old as the Academy itself. The Academy Library was established towards the end of 1963 to facilitate and enhance effective learning under the Nigerian Army Library Services (NAL). In 1985, when Nigerian Defence Academy was upgraded to a degree awarding institution, the Nigerian Army Library Services (NALS) ceased to control the Library services.
The NDA main Library moved to the permanent site on 16 June, 2009. Essentially, it was establish to support and advance the frontiers of teaching, learning, research and military training by providing and facilitating access to scholarly information products and services. It serves as a hub or pivot upon which the successes of our Cadets, staff and Postgraduate students rest. The quality of teaching, learning and research is directly dependent on the robustness of the collections of the Academy library. The Library is a one storey building measuring 50 metres by 38 metres by 92 metres. It has a seating capacity of 214 and currently has over 40,000 volumes of assorted books and 950 local and foreign journal titles. There are also 4 Faculty Libraries, 16 Departmental Libraries and a Postgraduate School library. The Postgraduate School Library has about 10,447 volumes. Both Main Library and Postgraduate Library subscribes to a number of electronic databases containing ejournals and ebooks respectively. The library depends on the NDA wireless Internet service to provide information resources and services for the cadets, postgraduate students, faculty members, officers and other civilian staff of the Academy.
However, the Academy library management with the support of NDA HQ have been striving to reposition the library to cope with the dynamics of the information and communications technologies. The library had since been fully automated in which most of its major tasks and operations have been computerized using one of the best propriety licensed library management software known as Liberty software.
The mission of the Academy Library is to support and advance the frontiers of teaching, learning, research and military training of the officer cadets, the military officers, faculty members and other civilian staff at the Academy through the provision of relevant information resources, services, personnel and state-of –the- Art equipment and facilities.
We will become a world class learning Resource Center driven by innovative services, dynamic collections and conducive environment for learning, research and military training of cadets, military officers and faculty members.
The Academy Library intends to achieve the following objectives:
- To select and acquire current and relevant information resources ranging from textbooks, journals, Audio and visual, databases, CDs and video recordings.
- To provide access to variety of electronic information resources via local area network and the Internet.
- To process, organize, preserve, secure and disseminate information resources to cadets, postgraduate students, faculty members etc.
- To create a conducive learning environment by facilitating access to and easy retrieval of information in the library.
- To ensure the attainment of impactful NDA community outreach
- To ensure the provision of quality and excellent library and information resources and services
- To build a highly motivated, conscientious and knowledgeable library staff.
- To develop and maintain mutually beneficial networks and partnerships with relevant libraries, agencies of government and other Non-governmental organization